Install or Upgrade SAM
Current version: SAM 2020.2.6
Updated: July 15, 2021
- To install SAM on premises, see the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide. You can also install an evaluation version of SAM.
- To deploy SAM in the cloud, see:
- Deploy Orion Platform products to AWS
- Deploy Orion Platform products to Microsoft Azure
- Install Orion Platform products using Azure Marketplace
- Install Orion Platform products using Amazon Marketplace
- Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds products
For an overview of Azure deployment, watch Installing SolarWinds Product from the Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
Always use the latest version of SAM and the Orion Platform, including hotfixes and service releases. For more tips, see Secure Configuration for the Orion Platform.
To upgrade SAM directly from the Orion Web Console, click Settings > My Orion Deployment. Downloading the Orion Platform Installer from the SolarWinds Customer Portal is no longer necessary.
- Do you need to migrate as part of your upgrade? See the Migration Guide.
- To upgrade SAM and other modules, see the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide.
- To upgrade your scalability engines (Additional Polling Engines, Additional Web Servers, High Availability servers), see Options for upgrading scalability engines.
SAM supports localized application monitor templates in German or Japanese. To switch languages, use the Orion Platform Installer to deploy a fresh installation of SAM and any other Orion Platform products in your environment, in either language.
Note these details before proceeding:
- You cannot roll back to English after installing the Orion Platform in another language. Back up any custom templates and application monitors. Unlike standard SAM upgrades that only update AppInsight templates, upgrading to a different language replaces all templates with new versions that support localization.
Consult Plan your installation or upgrade for additional steps, such as:
- Backing up the Orion Platform database,
- Taking snapshots of VMs and containers, and
- Backing up custom code, such as .css, .aspx, and .config files.
- (Recommended) Test the reinstalled version in a staging environment.
To learn about language packs, see Extract UI texts and apply the translated texts to the Orion Web Console.
- Need to move polling engines or the Orion Platform database to a different server? See the Migration Guide.