Install or Upgrade SAM
Current version: SAM 2020.2.5
Updated: March 2021
- To install SAM on premises, see the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide. You can also install an evaluation version of SAM.
- To deploy SAM in the cloud, see:
Starting with SAM 6.9, you can upgrade SAM directly from the Orion Web Console (Settings > My Orion Deployment). Downloading the Orion Installer is no longer necessary.
- Do you need to migrate as part of your upgrade? See the Migration Guide.
- To upgrade SAM and other Orion Platform products, see the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide.
- To upgrade your scalability engines (Additional Polling Engines, Additional Web Servers, High Availability servers), see Options for upgrading scalability engines.
Starting in SAM 2019.4.1, SAM supports localized SAM templates in German or Japanese. To switch languages when upgrading SAM, you'll need to use the Orion Installer to deploy a fresh installation of SAM and any other Orion Platform products in your environment in either language.
Note these important details before proceeding:
- You cannot roll back to English after installing the Orion Platform in another language. Back up any customized templates and application monitors. Unlike standard SAM upgrades that only update AppInsight templates, upgrading to a different language replaces all templates with new versions that support localization.
Consult Plan your installation or upgrade for additional steps, such as:
- Backing up your database,
- Taking snapshots of VMs and containers, and
- Backing up custom code, such as .css, .aspx, and .config files.
- SolarWinds recommends testing your reinstalled version in a staging environment.
- Do you need to move your SAM polling engines or database to a different server? See the Migration Guide.