Install or Upgrade SAM
SolarWinds strongly recommends that you install the SolarWinds Platform on a server that is neither public, nor internet-facing. To learn about best practices for configuring your SolarWinds Platform installation securely, see Secure Configuration for the SolarWinds Platform.
Current version: SAM 2024.1
Updated October 26, 2023
- To install SAM on premises, see the SolarWinds Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide. You can also install an evaluation version of SAM.
- To deploy SAM in the cloud, see:
- Deploy SolarWinds Platform products to AWS
- Deploy SolarWinds Platform products to Microsoft Azure
- Install SolarWinds Platform products using Azure Marketplace
- Install SolarWinds Platform products using Amazon Marketplace
- Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds products
For an overview of Azure deployment, watch Installing SolarWinds Product from the Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
You must be on SAM 2020.2.1 or later to upgrade to SAM 2022.4. If you are on SAM 2020.2 or earlier, first upgrade to 2020.2.6 and then upgrade to 2022.4.1.
Always use the latest version of SAM and the SolarWinds Platform, including hotfixes and service releases. For more tips, see Secure Configuration for the SolarWinds Platform.
To upgrade SAM directly from the SolarWinds Platform Web Console, click Settings > My Deployment. Downloading the SolarWinds Platform Installer from the SolarWinds Customer Portal is no longer necessary.
After upgrading, install one of the following drivers on the SolarWinds Platform server and any Additional Polling Engines (APEs) in your environment:
- Do you need to migrate as part of your upgrade? See the Migration Guide.
- To upgrade SAM and other modules, see the SolarWinds Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide.
- To upgrade your scalability engines (Additional Polling Engines, Additional Web Servers, High Availability servers), see Options for upgrading scalability engines.
SAM supports localized application monitor templates in German or Japanese. To switch languages, use the SolarWinds Platform Installer to deploy a fresh installation of SAM and any other SolarWinds Platform products in your environment, in either language.
Note these details before proceeding:
- You cannot roll back to English after installing the SolarWinds Platform in another language. Back up any custom templates and application monitors. Unlike standard SAM upgrades that only update AppInsight templates, upgrading to a different language replaces all templates with new versions that support localization.
Consult Plan your installation or upgrade for additional steps, such as:
- Backing up the SolarWinds Platform database,
- Taking snapshots of VMs and containers, and
- Backing up custom code, such as .css, .aspx, and .config files.
- (Recommended) Test the reinstalled version in a staging environment.
To learn about language packs, see Extract UI texts and apply the translated texts to the SolarWinds Platform Web Console.
- Need to move polling engines or the SolarWinds Platform database to a different server? See the Migration Guide.