Manage thresholds in SAM
Thresholds are markers that indicate certain levels were reached, which you can adjust and set to act as trigger points for many component monitors included in SAM templates and application monitors. For example, to monitor CPU usage, a Critical threshold set at 90% would be typical. After setting thresholds, you can configure alerts so SAM sends an email alert when a Critical status threshold is breached.
If thresholds are set too low, you'll receive frequent alerts. If set too high, problems can occur without your knowledge.
The Orion Platform includes predefined, general thresholds for most statistics, but you can override these thresholds and customize them on a per-object basis. For example, global thresholds exist for Disk Usage and Response statistics for all monitor nodes, but can be updated for specific nodes. To learn more, see Thresholds in the Orion Platform.
The following statistics have global thresholds that apply to every node monitored in the Orion Platform, by default:
- Average CPU load
- Disk Usage
- Percent memory Used
- Percent Packet Loss
- Response Time
Baseline data, as well as Warning and Critical thresholds for application monitors, can also be gathered and calculated automatically, as described in Adjust threshold settings and apply baseline data in SAM. The option to enter thresholds manually remains available. In general, you need to monitor applications for several weeks to collect enough data to use as a baseline. After you establish a baseline, you can make an educated guess about how to set Warning and Critical thresholds for component monitors.
By default, I/O thresholds of Windows Service Monitors are not set.
This section includes the following topics:
- Inherit thresholds in SAM
- Multi-value scripts and thresholds
- Apply baseline thresholds at the template level
- Apply baseline thresholds at the application-monitor level
- Adjust threshold settings and apply baseline data in SAM
- View latest baseline details
Additional resources about thresholds include:
- Thresholds in the Orion Platform (Orion Platform Administrator Guide)
- Use Min/Max Average Statistic charts to set thresholds based on 95th percentile data (Success Center)
- Baseline thresholds (THWACK)