Add AppOptics to IIS nodes monitored by AppInsight in SAM
This section describes how to add AppOptics service monitoring to nodes already being monitored by AppInsight for IIS and extend your IIS monitoring capabilities, as described in Integrate SolarWinds AppOptics monitoring with AppInsight for IIS nodes.
For a quick overview, watch this video.
Before proceeding, note the following details:
- You can integrate SAM with either the standalone version of AppOptics, or the APM Integrated Experience that combines AppOptics with SolarWinds Loggly and SolarWinds Pingdom.
- The first time you integrate an IIS node with AppOptics, you'll be prompted to either:
- Create an AppOptics account, or
- Provide credentials for an active AppOptics organization.
- AppOptics API tokens are also called SolarWinds Cloud Tokens, starting in SAM 2020.2.5.
- This feature is not supported on nodes monitored via Orion Remote Collectors.When you add AppOptics to a node, IIS services restart and related websites go down.
To integrate AppOptics with an IIS node for the first time:
- Review AppOptics integration requirements.
- Navigate to Settings > All Settings.
Under Product Specific Settings, click AppOptics Settings.
- On the AppOptics Settings page, click Add.
- When the Add an Integration wizard appears, click Create a new account.
If you already have an AppOptics account, click Go to AppOptics Login and follow steps in Retrieve a SolarWinds Cloud Token to integrate AppOptics with SAM.
- On the Log In page, provide account details and click Sign Up.
The Orion Platform generates a unique API token -- also called a SolarWinds Cloud Token -- that provides access to AppOptics data and adds it to the Orion database.
- On the Select Nodes page, select the IIS node(s) and click Deploy.
SAM deploys AppOptics agents to nodes and IIS services restart on remote machines. Related websites go down. After a few minutes, AppOptics performance metrics appear in relevant SAM widgets such as Top IIS Pools.