Assign the AppInsight for Active Directory template to domain controllers
- Either the IP address or FQDN of each domain controller.
- The port details, encryption method, and authentication method for each domain controller.
- An Active Directory account with domain credentials and local admin permissions.
There are several ways to assign AppInsight for Active Directory to nodes:
- Use the Discovery Wizard.
- Assign the AppInsight for Active Directory template to nodes.
- Add AppInsight for Active Directory via the Node Details view.
Regardless of the method used, an application monitor is created for each node, based on the AppInsight for Active Directory template. In the SolarWinds Platform Web Console, the default name displayed for the application monitor is "Active Directory," as shown in this example from the Node Details page:
Use the Discovery Wizard to add a new node and select AppInsight for Active Directory for monitoring. Credentials are inherited from the node automatically.
Enable WMI on domain controllers so they can be detected during Discovery.
- Click Settings > All Settings > Add Node.
- When the Add Node wizard appears, enter information on the Define Node tab and click Next.
- On the Choose Resources tab, select AppInsight Applications > Active Directory.
- Click Next and follow onscreen instructions to complete the wizard.
- To confirm the node was added:
- Click My Dashboards > Applications > Active Directory.
- Navigate to the All Application widget, expand the tree, and click the Active Directory application.
- To customize AppInsight for Active Directory for a domain controller, see Configure AppInsight for Active Directory on nodes.
You can add AppInsight for Active Directory monitoring to a domain controller already being monitored as a node via the Manage Templates page.
- Click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Templates.
- On the Manage Templates page, switch to the Application Monitor Templates tab.
- In the Template Name column, select the AppInsight for Active Directory check box.
- Click Assign to Node.
- Complete fields on the Set up AppInsight for Active Directory page and click Assign Application Monitor.
- Proceed to Configure AppInsight for Active Directory on nodes.
Follow these steps to add AppInsight for Active Directory to a domain controller already monitored as a WMI node in SAM.
- Click My Dashboards > Home > Summary.
- Expand and select the domain controller node in the All Nodes - Tree View widget.
On the Node Details view, click List Resources in the Management widget.
The list may take a few minutes to generate.
Select Microsoft Active Directory to enable AppInsight for Active Directory data collection. When done, click Submit.
- Click My Dashboards > Applications > SAM Summary.
Locate the All Applications widget, and click the Active Directory application on the specific node.
When prompted, enter credentials and select the port used to communicate with the domain.
Click Test to verify the credentials and configured permissions.
- Click Assign Credential to save the configuration.
After assigning AppInsight for Active Directory to nodes, customize settings for individual domain controllers. For example, you can enable "Total" performance counters or adjust certificate handling. See Configure AppInsight for Active Directory on nodes.