Discover servers in your SAM environment
After installing SAM, identify the servers you want to monitor and add them to the SolarWinds Platform database as nodes. Servers can be traditional physical servers, AWS instances, Azure VMs, Nutanix clusters, and more.
There are several ways to add nodes, including
- Use the Discovery Wizard (also called the Network Sonar Wizard) to detect devices throughout your environment, and then add discovered servers as SolarWinds Platform nodes with the Network Sonar Results Wizard.
- Add nodes by querying your Active Directory domain controller.
- Use the Add Node option on the Manage Nodes page. To access it, click Settings > Manage Nodes.
See the SAM Getting Started Guide for details about adding servers. The SolarWinds Platform Administrator Guide also provides details about Discovery, as well as how to configure polling methods, schedule future Discoveries, and group objects.
To configure specific types of servers for monitoring via SAM application monitor templates, see the following topics in the SAM Application Monitor Template Reference:
- Configure Linux/Unix systems for monitoring by the SolarWinds Platform agent in SAM
- Configure Java applications servers and JVMs for SAM monitoring
- Configure Oracle database servers for SAM monitoring
When finished adding and configuring servers, you can begin discovering applications on those servers.