SAM Application Monitor Template Reference
Download a PDF.
This reference provides details about the predefined application monitor templates included in SolarWinds SAM. Each template includes one or more component monitors designed to monitor a variety of elements in your environment, such as servers, applications, processes, services, events, databases, and storage.
Looking for details about SAM API poller templates? Click here.
You can assign these templates to nodes to create application monitors (also called "applications) that are specific to individual nodes and customized, if necessary. When polling occurs, scripts gather data and report results within the Orion Web Console, as shown here:
For more in-depth details, see SAM Administrator Guide.
When working with templates, note the following details:
- Some target systems (for example, Oracle database servers) require extra setup to support SAM application monitor polling. For details see Configure servers for SAM monitoring.
- Templates described here are legacy SAM application monitor templates. API Poller templates that monitor REST APIs are documented in the SAM API Poller Template Guide.
- Some templates can use Orion agents to gather data from target servers across your environment. For a list of templates that support agents, see Monitor with Orion agents in SAM. Click here to learn about configuring Linux/Unix systems to support Orion agents.
- To learn how to create custom templates with script monitors, see the SAM Custom Template Guide.
Periodically, SolarWinds updates templates to support the latest versions of third-party products, such as Windows Server. You can continue using templates for older versions, but updating to the latest template is recommended.
- Use SAM templates, application monitors, and component monitors (SAM Administrator Guide)
- Understanding Application Templates (video)
- Creating a New Application Template (video)
- Managing Assigned Application Monitors (video)
- Using Automation to Apply SAM Templates (video)
- SolarWinds Academy classes
- Building & Implementing Custom Application Templates
- Expert Series: SAM - Alerting and troubleshooting templates