Troubleshoot Asset Inventory polling issues in SAM
If expected Asset Inventory data does not appear for a node, verify that the feature is enabled and that any necessary third-party software is installed. The SolarWinds Platform uses standard protocols such as SNMP and WMI to collect Asset Inventory data, but not all information is available natively from an OS without installing agent software from the hardware vendor.
If you encounter CPU spikes or heavy polling engine loads, note that when Asset Inventory is first enabled on nodes, polling occurs daily at the same time across all nodes. If you stop and restart SolarWinds Platform services, the SolarWinds Platform will schedule polling jobs at random times throughout the day. You can also adjust the polling frequency, if necessary.
To avoid overloading polling engines, do not enable Asset Inventory across hundreds of agentless nodes in bulk. If nodes are polled by SolarWinds Platform agents, that issue should not occur.
Additional troubleshooting tips include:
- If you enable Asset Inventory polling for a node that hosts an SolarWinds Platform agent but expected data does not appear, check the agent configuration.
- Internet Information Services (IIS) use drivers and other “non-software” records that may cause duplicate records to be displayed in the SolarWinds Platform Web Console and saved to the SolarWinds Platform SQL database.
- If multiple registry keys share the same display name, filter by display name, version, and related Windows updates so only records for a specific asset appear in the Software Inventory widget and are saved in the SolarWinds Platform database.
These Success Center articles contain more details:
- Asset Inventory polling of Windows updates via WMI may stop processes on monitored machines
- Asset Inventory polling does not show all installed software on Linux hosts
- Asset Inventory does not provide manufacturer, model or serial number
- Avoid false-positive antivirus alerts related to Asset Inventory polling
- Object Identifiers (OIDs) used by SAM to poll for Asset Inventory data via SNMP
- Warranty status displays as Unknown for HP servers in the Asset Inventory widget
You can also search the SolarWinds online IT community, THWACK, for troubleshooting tips.