Troubleshoot Asset Inventory polling issues in SAM
This topic also applies to SolarWinds SCM, which supports Asset Inventory polling.
This section provides additional information about the Asset Inventory feature.
- The Orion Platform uses standard protocols such as SNMP and WMI to collect Asset Inventory data, but not all information is available natively from an OS without installing the hardware vendor's required agent software. For example, if Windows cannot recognize the serial number of a machine, then SAM cannot determine the machine's warranty status unless the vendor updates its agent software to extend APIs and gather additional data. See Third-party software required to collect Asset Inventory information in SAM.
- If expected asset data does not appear for a node that hosts an Orion agent, check the agent configuration.
- Internet Information Services (IIS) use drivers and other “non-software” records that may cause duplicate records to be displayed in the Orion Web Console and saved to the Orion SQL database.
- If multiple registry keys share the same display name, filter by display name, version, and related Windows updates so only records for a specific asset appear in the Software Inventory widget and are saved in the Orion database.
- WMI polls many WMI classes and registers for asset data. For the Software Inventory widget, SAM polls information from the following registry branches:
The following Success Center articles contain additional tips:
- Asset Inventory polling of Windows updates via WMI may stop processes on monitored machines
- Asset Inventory polling does not show all installed software on Linux hosts
- Asset Inventory does not provide manufacturer, model or serial number
- Avoid false-positive antivirus alerts related to Asset Inventory polling
- Object Identifiers (OIDs) used by SAM to poll for Asset Inventory data via SNMP
- Warranty status displays as Unknown for HP servers in the Asset Inventory widget
The SolarWinds online IT community, THWACK, also includes information about Asset Inventory polling.