Use group assignments for SAM templates and application monitors
You can assign templates and application monitors to groups of nodes. As you add nodes to the group, templates and application monitors linked to the group are automatically added to the new nodes. Likewise, if you add a new template or application monitor to the group, all node members receive the new additions.
Group assignments use the following logic:
- Added nodes receive the assigned templates and application monitors, regardless of template type. For example, if a template assigned to a group monitors a specific OS version such as Windows Server 2012, all nodes in the group are assigned the Windows Server 2012 template, regardless of the OS used by each node.
- Nested groups are not supported. AppInsight applications cannot be assigned to groups. Application assignment to a group happens in the background and can take some time to be created depending on the size of the application.
- If an OS-specific template, such as the Apache (Windows) template, is assigned to a group with Linux nodes, the template is assigned and reports a status of Unknown due to OS mismatch.
- If a node added to the group already has the template assigned to it, no changes occur.
- If a node is part of two groups with shared templates, the node only receives one copy of each assigned template and application monitors.
- If you delete a group, the assigned templates may remain assigned depending on the Advanced section configuration. In the Auto Delete Application Monitor option, select Yes to remove the templates if the group is deleted or nodes are removed from the group.
- You cannot assign credentials to a node and have all templates assigned to the group use those credentials. Credentials are not associated by group. You can select Inherit Credentials from Node when using WMI or an agent. The new application created from the template will use credentials from the node that is assigned to.