Use the Application Discovery wizard to add multiple nodes in SAM
You can use the Application Discovery wizard to scan nodes and automatically assign the application monitor templates it deems suitable for each node. You control which nodes are scanned, which templates are assigned, and the parameters that determine a match.
For a quick overview, watch this video (4:21).
Before proceeding, note the following details:
- When you assign a template to a node, an application monitor is created that is specific to the node, which is also called an "application." For an overview, see About the template and application monitor relationship.
- In larger environments, assigning multiple templates to multiple nodes can consume resources and take a long time. Consider limiting parameters.
- Some templates require credentials to access restricted resources, or run within the context of a specific user. If domains in your environment share user names with different passwords, run the wizard separately for each domain.
To use the Application Discovery wizard:
- Click Settings > All Settings > Discovery Central.
- On the Discovery Central page, scroll down and click Discover Applications.
- On the Select Nodes tab, select a Group By value, expand the node groups, select the nodes you want to scan, and then click Next.
- Select the applications to locate in the scan. You can use the Show only drop-down list to filter the application monitor template list.
To adjust template assignment criteria, expand Advanced Scan Settings and move the slider to the desired setting:
- Minimal Match - At least one component must match to assign the template.
- Partial Match - Some of the components must match to assign the template.
- Strong Match - Most of the components must match to assign the template.
- Exact Match - All components must match to assign the template.
- Click Next to advance to the Enter Credentials tab.
- Some templates require credentials to either access restricted resources, or run within the context of a specific user. To scan for these templates, add the necessary credentials to the list. If a template requires credentials, the credentials in this list are tried in the order in which they appear.
- (Recommended) If domains share user names with different passwords, run separate application discoveries for each domain. After entering credentials, click Next.
Credentials are tried several times during a scan, so an incorrect password may lock out an account. To avoid potential account lockouts that affect actual users, SolarWinds recommends that you create and use service accounts for monitoring purposes. That way, no actual user is affected by an account lockout if a password is entered incorrectly.
- Review the scan summary. If the wizard determines that a template was already assigned to the node, the template is not assigned again, by default. To assign duplicate templates, select "Yes, Assign Anyway" in the duplicates list.
- Click Start Scan to begin the process, which runs in the background. To check progress, click the Bell icon at the top of the page.
A message appears when scanning is complete. Click More Details to see results. Click Application Summary to open the SAM Summary page.