Use SolarWinds Platform Remote Collector with SAM
In SAM deployments that use node-based licensing, you can add SolarWinds Platform Remote Collector to distribute monitoring loads. These lightweight polling engines:
- Use SolarWinds Platform agent technology to communicate with the SolarWinds Platform.
- Do not require a direct connection to the SolarWinds Platform database.
- Are easy to deploy in remote locations, thanks to their simplified architecture.
- Can poll and store data up to 24 hours with no connection to the polling engine, making them useful for unreliable networks, DMZs, and devices that don’t support SolarWinds Platform agents.
Polling jobs run independently of the Main Polling Engine and any Additional Polling Engines (APEs). Results are stored locally, and then forwarded to the SolarWinds Platform server via agents.
For requirements, see Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds products.
Note the following details about using SolarWinds Platform Remote Collector with SAM:
- SolarWinds Platform Remote Collector polling is not supported for nodes monitored by SolarWinds Platform agents; for example, if AppInsight for IIS is assigned to a node.
- In a SolarWinds Network Automation Manager (NAM) deployment that combines SolarWinds Network Performance Manager (NPM) with SAM, SolarWinds Platform Remote Collectors can be used for both NAM- and SAM-supported features.
- The following SAM features do not currently support SolarWinds Platform Remote Collector polling:
- The following component monitors do not currently support SolarWinds Platform Remote Collector polling:
To display SolarWinds Platform Remote Collectors currently deployed in your environment:
- Click Settings > All Settings > Manage Agents.
On the Manage Agents page, click the Remote Collectors tab.
To learn more about SolarWinds Platform Remote Collectors, see the Scalability Engine Guidelines.