Set up PowerShell on target servers in SAM
PowerShell is included in most versions of Windows Server but you can install it, if necessary. To ensure that SAM can execute PowerShell commands against remote, target servers configured as managed nodes, you'll need to verify that:
- PowerShell 5.1 or later is installed on target servers.
- WinRM is enabled. See Enable remote access for PowerShell with WinRM.
- The Startup Type is set to Automatic.
Depending on how it's used, PowerShell can make your deployment vulnerable to unauthorized access. For details, see Use PowerShell in SAM.
An easy way to add PowerShell to a target server is to configure AppInsight for IIS on the node, which you can do in several ways:
- For an existing node currently managed via WMI, click List Resources on the Node Details view and select Microsoft IIS directly beneath AppInsight Applications.
See Add AppInsight for IIS to an existing node.
- For a new node added via the Add Node Wizard, you'll see the same Microsoft IIS option as provided for existing nodes.
- For multiple nodes, you can:
- Assign AppInsight for IIS via Discovery.
- Add nodes to a group and assign the AppInsight for IIS template to the group on the Manage Application Monitor Templates page.