Monitor Asset Inventory in SAM
As you add hardware, software, and applications to your environment, your assets increase along with the need to adjust the existing setup to expand and scale your infrastructure. To keep up, you must proactively monitor hardware and application health, while also maintaining an up-to-date inventory of all your IT assets.
To handle these demands, you can use the Asset Inventory feature to maintain a current and detailed inventory of a node's hardware and software, including both physical and virtual assets. This information can also benefit those interested in tracking asset depreciation, gathering information for insurance purposes, or managing and maintaining your infrastructure.
Additional benefits of the Asset Inventory feature include:
- Gain visibility into current hardware and software on a node.
- Track warranty information for critical hardware components.
- Be notified about important software, OS, and firmware updates.
- Monitor overall hardware life cycles and maintenance timelines.
- Determine when OS updates were applied to servers.
Data collected depends on the polling method used to collect data from nodes.
Here are some examples of Asset Inventory data displayed in the Orion Web Console:
SolarWinds SCM also supports Asset Inventory polling.
To get started using this feature:
- Review Asset Inventory polling requirements.
- Download and configure third-party agent software on servers. Click here for details.
- Run Discovery to detect agent software and enable Asset Inventory polling across multiple nodes automatically.
- Display Asset Inventory data in SAM.
To avoid overloading polling engines, do not enable Asset Inventory across hundreds of agentless nodes in bulk. If nodes are polled by Orion Platform agents, that issue should not occur.
When Asset Inventory polling is enabled for nodes, hardware health monitoring is also enabled for those nodes automatically, although either feature can be used independently. Polling starts immediately and results appear on the Asset Inventory subview of the Node Details view, and other pages. See Display Asset Inventory data in SAM.
Initially, polling continues daily at the same time for all nodes. The next time you stop and restart Orion Platformservices with the Orion Platform Service Manager, the Orion Platform schedules polling jobs at random times throughout the day to avoid CPU spikes and reduce polling engine loads. You can adjust the polling frequency, if necessary.
- Asset Inventory polling requirements
- Enable Asset Inventory polling for multiple nodes in SAM
- Enable Asset Inventory polling for individual nodes in SAM
- Display Asset Inventory data in SAM
- Display the warranty status for physical servers in SAM
- Adjust the Asset Inventory polling frequency in SAM
- Configure SSL certificate validation for Asset Inventory polling
- Disable Asset Inventory polling in SAM
- Troubleshoot Asset Inventory polling issues in SAM