Configure APM service monitoring in SAM
To start monitoring APM services in SAM, you'll need to a SolarWinds Cloud Token to authenticate access to the AppOptics API for a specific tenant. After a token is added, data appears on the APM Services page. To display services for a different tenant, add a different token linked to a different tenant.
Before proceeding, note the following details:
- SolarWinds Cloud Tokens are also called AppOptics credentials or AppOptics API tokens.
- You can add AppOptics credentials on the APM Services page, or use SolarWinds Cloud Tokens added on the Manage Credentials page.
- Tokens require a Full Access role, as configured in AppOptics.
Tokens are sent to the Orion Platform via HTTP with plain text, instead of HTTPS. Consider adding tokens by logging into the Orion server directly.
To get started:
- Click My Dashboards > APM Services.
- If no AppOptics credentials were provided yet, the following dialog box appears. Click Configure.
If at least one set of credentials was already added, the APM Services page displays services. To switch to a different tenant and display a different set of services and metrics, click Configure AppOptics Credentials.
- In the Configure AppOptics Credentials dialog box, select an existing set of credentials or click New to add another set of credentials. See Retrieve a SolarWinds Cloud Token to integrate AppOptics with SAM.
Click Save to return to the APM Services page. Wait 10 to 20 seconds for data to refresh on the APM Services page. If you encounter issues, see Troubleshoot APM service monitoring.
- For each service, click the Nodes Count link to determine which nodes are related to a service and whether or not they're already being monitored, as indicated by the status icon.
- Green check mark: The service is already being monitored on a node in SAM. Click the node hyperlink to display the Node Details view.
- Red exclamation point: The service is monitored, but is in either a Critical or Down state.
- Gray question mark: The service is not yet associated with a node. Click Monitor to launch the Add Node wizard.
- To begin monitoring a service in SAM (which consumes a license)Configuration Needed dialog box doesn't appear. Click Configure AppOptics Credentials to add another set.