Configure Application Dependencies settings in SAM
- Enable Application Dependency polling.
- Assign application monitors to nodes.
- (Optional) Customize polling settings.
- (Optional) Set up Application Dependencies alerts.
This feature is automatically disabled during SAM upgrades to prevent performance issues in large environments. After upgrading SAM, enable it again.
To enable the Application Dependencies feature:
- Click Settings > Application Connection Settings.
- Enable the Enable Application Dependency Polling option.
- (Optional) Enable Connection Quality Polling.
- Click Save changes.
- Allow at least 10 minutes for SAM to deploy agents to nodes. For an overview, see How the Application Dependencies feature in SAM works.
If Application Dependency polling fails immediately after it's enabled, navigate to the Manage Agents page to check if agents are currently being deployed. Wait 10 minutes and try again.
To support background functionality described in How the Application Dependencies feature in SAM works, each node that you want to monitor needs at least one application monitor assigned to it so SAM can download agents.
For nodes that don't have an application monitor, you can:
- Use the Application Discovery wizard to assign templates to nodes, or
- Assign an application monitor template to a node on the Manage Templates page. When you assign a template to a node, an application monitor is automatically added to the node and agents are deployed.
To fine-tune polling and thresholds, use the Application Connection Settings page to:
- Enable Connection Quality polling to display network communication statistics for dependencies.
- Set polling intervals.
- Indicate when a Down connection and its dependencies should be removed from the Orion Platform database.
An Orion Platform Administrator account with Node Management rights is required.
You can also disable Application Dependency polling for specific nodes, if necessary.
To configure Application Dependencies alerts at the global level.
- Click Settings > All Settings > Application Connection Settings.
- On the Application Connection Settings page, scroll down to Threshold Settings.
- Select Critical and Warning values for Connection packet loss and Connection latency.
- Click Save Changes.
To configure Application Dependencies alerts for individual connections, navigate to a specific node, click Edit Node, adjust Alerting Thresholds, and click Submit. You can also navigate to a node's Connection Details page and select Thresholds from the Commands menu.