Display AppInsight for SQL data in the Orion Web Console
After AppInsight for SQL is added to nodes, SAM begins polling for metrics and the standard Node Details view is replaced by the following views:
- SQL Server Application Summary view: Click My Dashboards > Applications > SQL Server to display a list of all SQL server instances monitored by AppInsight for SQL. From here, you can click an instance to open its Application Details view.
- AppInsight for SQL Application Details view: Click My Dashboards > Applications > SAM Summary. In the All Application widget, expand AppInsight for SQL, and then click an instance to display the Application Details view.
The SQL Server Application Summary view provides widgets you can use to monitor overall data for all SQL servers including alerts, events, and consumed resources, including:
- All Applications view of all currently managed SQL servers as nodes, expandable to locate specific nodes
- Active Application Alerts for specific alerts affecting SQL servers
- Top Processes by CPU Load, Physical Memory, Virtual Memory and more to gauge applications consuming resources
- Top Monitored Processes by I/O Total Operations, Reads, and Writers for highest bandwidth consumption, reads, and write latency
Expand rows in the All Applications widget to drill down into details about performance counters and status. Click a metric to learn more about it.
Click an instance to open its AppInsight for SQL Application Details view. The following example shows an MSSQLSERVER instance in the Orion demo with a critical alert:
The AppInsight for SQL Application Details view consolidates all data for the selected SQL server, including:
- An AppStack view for troubleshooting, alerts, events, expensive queries, capacity usage, and other metrics.
- A list of the top 10 expensive Queries by CPU time.
- WPM transaction monitor results, if SolarWinds Web Performance Monitor is installed.
- Database performance data, if SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer is installed. See also Use the DPA Integration Module with SAM.
To review database data in this view, select a database in the All Databases widget. The Database Details view lists all databases on the node, alerts, AppStack, and more. To drill down to see performance counter details in the AppInsight for SQL Application Details view, click a performance counter in any widget.
To learn more about AppInsight for SQL, watch these videos:
- Deep Dive on using AppInsight Templates
- Introducing AppInsight for SQL Server
- SQL Server Performance: AppInsight for SQL
Did you know that when SAM alerts you about an application failure, you can use SolarWinds IPAM to quickly determine if a broken or missing DNS record is at fault? You can then use SAM to troubleshoot the service further.