Monitor APM services in SAM
If your SAM environment includes either the standalone version of AppOptics or the APM Integrated Experience that combines AppOptics with Loggly and Pingdom, you can connect those products to monitor the status of AppOptics services directly within SAM.
To get started, click My Dashboards > APM Services.
If credentials for a specific tenant are already configured for this page, related services appear in 10 to 20 seconds, depending on how many services are retrieved. To add credentials for an initial tenant, or switch to a different tenant, see Configure APM service monitoring in SAM.
With proper AppOptics credentials and Orion account rights, you'll see the following data on the APM Services page:
- Service name: Each service is represented by a row with a status icon. Status is calculated based on error rates, as polled by SAM via the AppOptics API every 15 minutes, by default.
Unlike most status icons in SAM, APM service status is not related to thresholds set in SAM, AppOptics, or the APM Integrated Experience.
- Red exclamation point: Error rate is greater than zero. These services appear first in the sort order, by default.
- Green check mark: Error rate is zero or null.
- Gray question mark: SAM can detect the service but no data is available so the status is Unknown. Click the Nodes link in the service row, then click Monitor to launch the Add Node wizard.
- Nodes: The quantity of nodes associated with the service. This value corresponds to "host count" in AppOptics.
- Average response time: How long it took for a service to respond, in milliseconds (ms).
- Average requests: The average number of requests served by the AppOptics API.
- Error rate: The number of HTTP (5xx) errors that occurred for requests served by the AppOptics API.
Information on the APM Services page mirrors data displayed on the AppOptics > Services page. However, note that discrepancies may occur because SAM and AppOptics poll data independently of each other.
When services appear on the APM Services page, you can:
- Click Full Data View to launch the AppOptics Services Overview page (1) in the main AppOptics product or the APM Integrated Experience.
Depending on if you're already logged into AppOptics or the APM Integrated experience, and if you have rights to view data, you may be prompted to log into that product to display data for the services shown in SAM. To display services for a different tenant, you may need to log in with a different set of credentials.
- Access more data in each row that represents a service:
- Click a service link to view metrics in a Performance Analysis (PerfStack) dashboard where you can save, export, or share data (2).
- Click a Nodes link to open the Node Details view for related nodes (3).
To add a node for a service, click Monitor to launch the Add Node wizard (4).
- Click the View in AppOptics icon to display service details in AppOptics or the APM Integrated Experience (5).
Related metrics also appear in the AppOptics APM Services widget on the SAM Summary page, accessible by clicking My Dashboards > SAM Summary.