Monitor APM services in SAM
If your SAM environment includes the standalone version of AppOptics or the APM Integrated Experience that combines AppOptics with Loggly and Pingdom, you can connect monitor the status of AppOptics services directly within SAM.
To get started, click My Dashboards > APM Services.
If credentials for a specific tenant were already added, related services appear in 10 to 20 seconds, depending on how many services are retrieved. To add credentials for a new tenant, or switch to a different tenant, see Configure APM service monitoring in SAM.
With proper AppOptics credentials and SolarWinds Platform account rights, the APM Services page displays the following data:
Service name: Each service is represented by a row with a status icon. Status is calculated based on error rates, as polled by SAM via the AppOptics API every 15 minutes, by default. Thresholds are not involved in status calculations.
- Red exclamation point: Error rate is greater than zero. These services appear first in the sort order, by default.
- Green check mark: Error rate is zero or null.
- Gray question mark: SAM can detect the service but no data is available so the status is Unknown. Click the Nodes link in the service row, then click Monitor to launch the Add Node wizard.
Nodes: The quantity of nodes associated with the service, which corresponds to the Service host count in AppOptics.
SAM uses MAC and IP addresses to match nodes to services. External and ICMP nodes do not provide that data, so they are excluded from this count.
Average response time: How long it took for a service to respond, in milliseconds (ms).
Average requests: The average number of requests served by the AppOptics API.
- Error rate: The number of HTTP (5xx) errors that occurred for requests served by the AppOptics API.
Information on the APM Services page in SAM should mirror data displayed on the AppOptics > Services page. However, discrepancies may occur because SAM and AppOptics poll data independently of each other.
When services appear on the APM Services page, you can:
Click Full Data View to launch the AppOptics Services Overview page (1) in the main AppOptics product or the APM Integrated Experience.
Depending on if you're already logged in to AppOptics or the APM Integrated experience, and if you have rights to view data, you may be prompted to log in to display data for the services shown in SAM. To display services for a different tenant, log in with related credentials.
Access more data in each row that represents a service:
- Click a service link to view metrics in a PerfStack dashboard where you can save, export, or share data (2).
- Click a Nodes link to open the related Node Details view (3).
To add a node for a service, click Monitor to launch the Add Node wizard (4).
- Click the View in AppOptics icon to display service details in AppOptics or the APM Integrated Experience (5).
Related metrics also appear in the AppOptics APM Services widget on the SAM Summary page. Click My Dashboards > Applications > SAM Summary.