Assign API poller templates to nodes
As detailed in the SAM API Poller Template Guide, SAM includes a variety of templates to capture metrics in PaaS, IaaS, on-premises, and hybrid environments from the following APIs with the API Poller feature:
- JetBrains TeamCity
- Microsoft 365 (formerly "Microsoft Office 365")
- Microsoft Azure
- SolarWinds AppOptics
- SolarWinds Pingdom
- SolarWinds Service Desk
- VMware vCenter
To assign one or more templates to a node, use the Assign API Pollers wizard, accessible via the Management widget on Node Details pages.
Note the following details:
- SolarWinds recommends using Firefox, Chrome, or Microsoft Edge to run the wizard.
- Templates are updated periodically. To get the latest version, run the Assign API Poller wizard.
- To exit the wizard and create a standard API poller instead, click Create custom API Poller.
More templates are available in the SAM Content Exchange on THWACK, as posted by
solarwinds_worldwide_llc. For example, see the GitHub health status API Poller Template. After you download a template from THWACK, import it into SAM on the Manage API Pollers page.
To assign one or more API poller templates to a node:
- Navigate to the Node Details view for the node.
- In the Management widget, click API Poller Management > Assign.
As shown here, the wizard displays template details, such as the default number of consumed metrics, which impacts license usage. After you assign a template to a node, you can add or delete monitored metrics.
- Select the template(s) you want to add to the node and click Next.
- On the next, select an Authorization type, specify credentials, and then click Assign Pollers.
If you assign multiple templates of the same type (for example, four Azure templates), they can share credentials. If you assign different types of templates (for example, one Azure template and one Pingdom template), you'll need to configure separate credentials before sending API requests.
- After the API poller is applied to the node, click the API Poller template link, as shown in this example.
The API poller appears, along with a list of monitored metrics.
- (Optional) Click Configure to edit the Name or Description of the template. You can also adjust SSL, proxy, polling interval, and credential settings.
- Use the Edit () and Delete () icons to modify monitored values, as necessary.
- When finished setting up the API poller, click Save to return to the Node Details view.
After the next poll occurs (2 minutes, by default), metrics appear in the API Poller widget on the Node Details view where you can: