On this page
The first step to accessing SolarWinds Service Desk (SWSD) is to log in.
You need to know whether your email is linked to one or more SWSD accounts.
When your email is linked to only one account, enter your user name (email address) and password to access SWSD.
A common practice for many organizations is to use a single SWSD account to manage service delivery. Some organizations benefit from using more than one account.
- Some organizations use a separate account as a test account. There you can test new functionality and/or different settings before enabling them in your production environment.
Some organizations choose to maintain complete separation between different departments, so they create multiple accounts. This approach is usually used to keep HR, IT, and Finance as unique entities for security or confidentiality purposes. This can be particularly helpful to your organization when it uses the service desk platform to deliver services to both internal (employees) and external (customers) service desk audiences.
- Some organizations allow individuals to access their SWSD account when they are already defined in the service desk account of a different organization. This often occurs with people who are external to your organization, such as contractors.
If a user (identified via his/her email address) is used in more than one account, be aware of the following:
Email addresses are used by the SWSD application as unique identifiers. When the same email address is associated with more than one account, there must be a way for the application to identify which account the user would like to access.
While the same email address (user login) can be used in multiple accounts, passwords are unique to each account.
If your organization uses multiple accounts, note the following guidelines for successful log in into the service desk application:
- Login via a browser. Use your account login URL: https://<account domain name>.samanage.com. The account login URL uniquely identifies the account you are logging into and therefore helps SWSD check your password in relation to the correct account.
Login via the mobile app. Based on your user ID (email) and password you can login directly into a single account. However, after you provide your credentials and select Log In, an additional screen appears where you are prompted to enter the name of the account you would like to access. To find your account name, log in via a browser and go to the My Account page.
- Login via API. Use a token for authentication if your organization's system administrators have allowed this functionality. Tokens are unique in the system, therefore, you do not need to provide any additional information to identify the account you want to access. See Token authentication for API integration for more information on tokens for API access and API authentication for scripts.
For security reasons, SWSD will never display the list of accounts your email is associated with.
When attempting to access SWSD with an email address that is linked to more than one account, you may see these two error messages:
- When logging in from a non-unique domain such as app.samanage.com, the following error message will appear:
- Incorrect email or password. Please try again.
- If API access is attempted without a token, API authentication will fail. Basic/HTTP Digest authentication will not work for multi-account users. The following error message will appear:
- HTTP 401 (Unauthorized)
When using SSO and a single domain name with multiple accounts, you might need to define several applications on the Identity-as-a-service (IDaaS) side and connect each of the applications to the respective SWSD account. This is similar to working with different applications from an IDaaS solution perspective.