Install SolarWinds Platform products using Amazon AWS Marketplace (CloudFormation)
This topic applies to all SolarWinds Platform products.
SolarWinds was the victim of a cyber attack to our systems that inserted a vulnerability (SUNBURST) within three of our Orion® Platform software builds. The software versions currently available on the AWS Marketplace represent the latest versions that include the recent security updates. More information is available at www.solarwinds.com/securityadvisory and www.solarwinds.com/securityadvisory/faq.
Starting with Orion Platform 2020.2, you can deploy SolarWinds Platform products using Amazon AWS Marketplace (CloudFormation).
SolarWinds Platform license
On AWS Marketplace, SolarWinds Platform products are now available with 30-day evaluation period.
Evaluating SolarWinds Platform products is free of charge. However, please note that running the SolarWinds Platform in the Amazon AWS cloud is subject to a charge. You can check the rates in AWS Marketplace.
You can upgrade the evaluation to a commercial license at any time. See Activate licenses for SolarWinds Platform products for details or email email@example.com to obtain a license.
Why use Amazon AWS with the SolarWinds Platform?
- You can install multiple SolarWinds Platform products at a time.
- Use the Amazon RDS for SQL Server database solution.
- Amazon VMs are built dynamically on the fly using the latest versions and hotfixes available at time of creation.
- Before you begin, review the requirements for deploying your SolarWinds Platform in the Amazon AWS cloud.
- If you need to deploy the SolarWinds Platform to a private subnet, set up your private subnet to be able to handle outbound Internet traffic before you begin the deployment.
- Create an Amazon EC2 key pair in the AWS Management Console to connect to your AWS EC2 instance where SolarWinds Platform product(s) will run.
Steps to deploy SolarWinds Platform using Amazon Marketplace
- Go to AWS Marketplace, search for SolarWinds products, select a SolarWinds Platform product to install and continue to subscribe.
- Log in to AWS cloud, and continue to configuration of the selected SolarWinds Platform product.
- Review the license, privacy, and offer information and continue to configuration.
- Configure the software. Review the product, version, and region and click Continue to Launch.
- Review Usage instructions, make sure Launch CloudFormation is selected in the Choose Action dropdown, and click Launch.
- The Create stack wizard opens. Complete the wizard to install SolarWinds Platform products.
Step 1: Specify template
Select a template to use for your Orion deployment. You can keep the default settings.
Step 2: Specify stack details
- Provide a name for the stack.
- Type the password for the admin user in the SolarWinds Platform Web Console.
- Specify the SolarWinds Platform products to install.
- Specify your EC2 key pair, EC2 instance, and the operating system.
- In EC2 IP Address Range, provide the range of IP addresses that will be able to access the Orion deployment.
- Provide the volume type and hard drive space.
- Specify Network Settings, such as subnet, database subnet, and VPC for the new stack.
- Specify whether you'll be using scalability engines, such as ha servers, additional web servers and additional polling engines.
- Configure the database - create a new one or use an existing one.
Step 3: Configure stack options Review available options, such as stack failure options, permissions, or tags. You can continue with default settings. Step 4: Review and back up template and parameters.
Review the settings before the deployment starts.
When the deployment is ready, you can access your Orion Platform.
In AWS Management Console, navigate to Services > CloudFormation, and click the provided Orion URL. This opens the SolarWinds Platform Web Console in a web browser.
To RDP to the AWS instance running the SolarWinds Platform, use your key pair to decrypt your Windows OS Administrator password, and launch the SolarWinds Platform Web Console from the Start menu.
Disclaimer: Please note, any content posted herein is provided as a suggestion or recommendation to you for your internal use. This is not part of the SolarWinds software or documentation that you purchased from SolarWinds, and the information set forth herein may come from third parties. Your organization should internally review and assess to what extent, if any, such custom scripts or recommendations will be incorporated into your environment. You elect to use third party content at your own risk, and you will be solely responsible for the incorporation of the same, if any.