Promote a node from ICMP to SNMP monitoring
This topic applies to all SolarWinds Platform products.
SolarWinds Platform products only use ICMP to poll devices for status, average response time, and packet loss.
- Log in to the SolarWinds Platform Web Console as an administrator.
- Click Settings > Manage Nodes.
- Select Nodes from the Show drop-down list, and locate the node which you want to edit.
- Select the node, and click Edit Properties.
- In the Polling Method section, select Most Devices: SNMP and ICMP.
- Select the version of SNMP to use. The default is SNMPv2c.
- If you have installed multiple polling engines, select the Polling Engine you want to use to collect statistics from the added node. This option is not displayed if you are only using one polling engine.
- If the SNMP port on the added node is not the Orion default of 161, enter the actual port number.
- If the added node supports 64-bit counters and you want to use them, select Allow 64-bit Counters.
If you notice erratic or incorrect data when using 64-bit counters, clear the Allow 64 Bit Counters box for the device, and contact the hardware manufacturer.
- For SNMPv1 or SNMPv2c, enter the Community String and, optionally, the Read/Write Community String. Click Test to validate the strings.
The Community String is a password to authenticate data sent between the management station and the device. The default is usually "public". Use the strings configured on the device.
- For SNMPv3, provide the credentials and click Test to validate the credentials. See the vendor documentation for your network device for further information.
- Click Submit.