Automatically add discovered nodes to SolarWinds Platform
This SolarWinds Platform topic applies only to the following products:
Hybrid Cloud Observability Essentials — Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced
IPAM — LA — NAM — NCM — NPM — SAM — SCM — UDT — VMAN — VNQM
Automatic monitoring means you do not have to go through the Discovery Import wizard every time you run a discovery. It is useful when you have configured your discovery to find similar nodes or network devices.
Click Settings > Network Discovery, and add a discovery, or select an existing one and click Edit.
Click through the Discovery Wizard to the Monitoring Settings page.
Choose to include devices that only respond to ICMP (ping). If you exclude devices that only respond to ICMP, your discovery list may be smaller than you expect and you must add those devices manually.
On Monitor Settings, select Automatically monitor based on my, and click Define Monitoring Settings.
Select the properties of interfaces you want to monitor on discovered nodes and click Next. You can also create advanced filters for interfaces under Advanced selection options. This option is available for NPM.
Tips for choosing interfaces
- Only monitor access ports that should always be up. Do NOT monitor desktop access ports because these ports will show an error state when everyone goes home for the day (for example).
- For switches, routers and firewalls, select Up trunk ports and wireless access ports.
- For servers, select Up interfaces.
- Use Advanced Filtering Options for existing interface descriptions to choose your most interesting ports, such as 'uplink', 'WAN', etc.
Choose the types of volumes you want to monitor.
Tips for choosing volumes
- For switches, routers, and firewalls, select Flash memory, and RAM.
- For servers, select RAM, Virtual Memory, Fixed Disk, Mount Points (*nix systems), or Network Disk (Windows).
- We do not recommend monitoring CDs, removable disks, or floppy disks (CDs always show '100% full,' and removable disks disappear and display as unknown).
- Other and Unknown volumes cannot be identified on import, so you may need to take additional actions to identify them.
Choose the applications you want to monitor. Only the most commonly monitored applications are available in this screen. You can monitor other applications by using applications templates. This option is available for SAM.
Choose ports to be monitored for usage and capacity. This option is available for User Device Tracker.
Choose Server Configuration profiles to be monitored. See Server Configuration profiles in SCM for details.
Continue configuring your discovery. When the discovery runs, your monitoring settings will be applied to any discovered devices. Anything that matches the settings be imported and monitored automatically.