SolarWinds Platform Web Console administration in the SolarWinds Platform
This topic applies to all SolarWinds Platform products.
Users with Administrator rights can click Settings > All Settings to access the Main Settings and Administration page. The page presents a variety of tools to control the appearance and delivery of information to SolarWinds Platform Web Console users.
As more SolarWinds Platform products are added, additional options will be displayed.
Before you can start monitoring your network, you must designate the network objects you want to monitor. This grouping provides direct links to discovery‑related views so you can quickly and easily start monitoring your network:
- Discovery Central provides a centralized overview of the types and number of network objects you are monitoring with your Orion installation.
- Network Sonar Discovery starts the Network Sonar Discovery Wizard that automatically discovers devices across your entire network for monitoring.
- Add a Node opens the Add Node Wizard. See Add a single node for monitoring to the SolarWinds Platform.
Node & Group Management
- Manage Nodes displays the Node Management page, where a SolarWinds Platform Web Console administrator can immediately add, view, and manage all network objects currently managed or monitored by your SolarWinds Platform products.
- Manage Virtual Devices opens the Virtualization Polling Settings view where you can view both a list of currently monitored Hyper-V or VMware ESX Servers and a library of the VMware credentials used to monitor your ESX Servers. For more information, see Monitor virtual infrastructure.
- Manage Dependencies opens the Manage Dependencies view. Dependencies allow you to formalize dependent relationships between monitored objects based on network topology or priority to eliminate the potential for duplicated or redundant polling and alerting.
- Manage Agents allows you to create and manage your alerts. For more information, see View agent connections and status, update agents, or manage agents.
- Manage Groups opens the Manage Groups view. To a greater degree than previously available with custom properties, groups enable you to logically organize your monitored network objects. For more information, see Group monitored objects.
- Manage Custom Properties allows you to create and manage custom properties that you can use within your SolarWinds Platform products. For more information, see Custom properties in the SolarWinds Platform.
- Manage World Map allows you to manage the nodes you want to display in the Worldwide Map resource.
For more information, see Display the Worldwide Map in the SolarWinds Platform.
- Manage Pollers allows you to create new pollers or edit existing pollers to fit the needs of your unique devices. You can also import pollers created by your peers from THWACK.
For more information, see Manage pollers using Device Studio.
- Manage Hardware Sensors allows you to enable or disable monitoring hardware health sensors in the SolarWinds Platform Web Console. For more information, see Monitor hardware health.
Alerts & Reports
- Manage Alerts - create and manage web-based alerts. For more information, see Use alerts to monitor your environment with the SolarWinds Platform.
- Manage Reports - create and manage web-based reports. For more information, see Create a web-based report in the SolarWinds Platform.
- Manage SMTP Servers - add and manage SMTP servers used to send email notifications.
For more information, see Add an SMTP server in the SolarWinds Platform.
- Configure Default Send Email Action - configure the default SMTP server and email information used with the Send Email alert action.
For more information, see Configure the default information in the email action for SolarWinds Platform alerts.
- ServiceNow® Instances - integrate your SolarWinds Platform product with a ServiceNow instance. For more information, see Configure a SolarWinds Platform product with ServiceNow.
- Virtualization Settings allow a SolarWinds Platform Web Console administrator to set up Virtualization Manager integration, configure virtualization, and view your License Summary.
- Web Console Settings allow a SolarWinds Platform Web Console administrator to customize the function and appearance of both the SolarWinds Platform Web Console and the charts that are displayed as resources in SolarWinds Platform Web Console views. For more information about configuring SolarWinds Platform Web Console and Chart Settings, see SolarWinds Platform Web Console and chart settings for the SolarWinds Platform.
- Agent Settings allow a SolarWinds Platform Web Console administrator to configure settings relevant for your agents. For more information, see Modify global agent deployment and update settings.
- Proxy Settings allow a SolarWinds Platform Web Console administrator to configure a proxy server through which Orion can connect to THWACK and check for maintenance updates if Orion does not have internet access. For more information, see Configure web proxy settings in the SolarWinds Platform.
Thresholds & Polling
- Polling Settings define the configuration of polling intervals, timeouts, statistics calculations, and database retention settings for your Orion polling engine. For more information about configuring Orion Polling Settings, see Update polling settings in the SolarWinds Platform.
- Virtualization Thresholds allows you to set warning and critical thresholds specific for the Virtualization module.
- Custom Poller Thresholds allow you to set warning and critical threshold levels for your custom pollers.
- NPM Thresholds allow you to set warning and critical thresholds specific for the Network Performance Monitor.
- Orion Thresholds allow you to configure warning and critical thresholds for nodes and volumes. These thresholds are used in all Orion modules.
For more information about custom poller, NPM, or Orion thresholds, see Thresholds in the SolarWinds Platform.
Use the Manage Windows Credentials page to create and manage credentials you use to connect to Windows computers on your network.
- Manage Accounts allows you to manage user accounts, and specify management rights and limitations.
- Accounts List provides a table of existing accounts and appropriate details, such as assigned rights or the last login.
- The Manage Views page enables administrators to add, edit, copy, or remove SolarWinds Platform Web Console views. See How custom views/classic dashboards work in the SolarWinds Platform.
- The Add New View page enables you to define new SolarWinds Platform Web Console views.
- The Created NOC Views provides the list of current Network Operations Center page, and enables you to add new NOC views.
For more information, see Optimize SolarWinds Platform views/classic dashboards for TV screens or mobile devices.
- The Views by Device Type page allows administrators to designate default views for network devices. See Specify views/classic dashboards for device types in the SolarWinds Platform.
Customize Navigation & Look
- Customize Menu Bars allows SolarWinds Platform Web Console administrators to configure the menu bars seen by individual users. See Customize My Dashboards in the SolarWinds Platform.
- Color Scheme allows administrators to select a default color scheme for resource title bars. The color scheme selection takes effect immediately throughout the web console. See Change the SolarWinds Platform Web Console color scheme in the SolarWinds Platform.
- External Websites allows SolarWinds Platform Web Console administrators to designate any external website as a SolarWinds Platform Web Console view, appearing in the Views toolbar. See Add external websites to the SolarWinds Platform.
This is an information-only page that displays details about the SQL Server database currently used by your SolarWinds Platform installation, such as the version and configuration settings for both your SolarWinds Platform server and your database server, and the total number of monitored objects in the SolarWinds Platform database.
This page shows the status and selected configuration information for each currently operational polling engine.
SolarWinds Platform Details
This is an information-only page that displays details about your installation of the common components and resources that all SolarWinds Platform products share, including information about your SolarWinds Platform server, monitored object counts, and the version numbers of the executables and DLLs required by any and all installed SolarWinds Platform products.
This is an information-only page that displays details about all SolarWinds Platform products that you currently have installed. This page also shows the version numbers of the SolarWinds Platform products you are running and the versions of associated DLLs.
This link opens the web-based License Manager. Click the link to manage your SolarWinds Platform licenses directly from the SolarWinds Platform Web Console.