Modify multiple alerts or share alerts in the SolarWinds Platform
This SolarWinds Platform topic applies only to the following products:
Hybrid Cloud Observability Essentials — Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced
DPAIM — IPAM — LA — NAM — NCM — NPM — NTA — SAM — SCM — SRM — UDT — VMAN — VNQM
Use the Alert Manager to bulk edit multiple alerts. You can enable or disable multiple alerts or add pre-configured actions.
Alerts must be enabled to be executed. For example, if an alert is scheduled to run for a short period of time each year, it must be enabled so the schedule runs. A disabled alert will not be executed, even if it is scheduled to run.
- Create alerts
- Edit alerts
- Duplicate and edit alerts: Select an alert, click Duplicate & Edit, and edit the copy of the alert you have created.
- Enable/disable alerts: Select an alert, and click Enable/disable.
- Assign actions to alerts
- Export/Import alerts
- Delete alerts: Select the alert and click Delete.
Select an alert and click Edit. You can edit the alert definition:
Assign actions that you have already configured to alerts. You can assign multiple actions to multiple alerts. Actions are categorized into trigger and reset actions based on how the action was created in the Alert Wizard.
SolarWinds does not provide generic actions due to the differences in intent behind trigger and reset actions. For example, a trigger action to send an email is usually a notification that an event happened, while the associated reset action is usually a notification that the event has been resolved.
SolarWinds customers share their customized alerts in the SolarWinds THWACK community. Visit THWACK.solarwinds.com to download and import alerts created by others.
Export an alert to save the alert definition as an XML file on your local computer. Alerts are exported to XML and can only be imported from XML. You can send this file to other coworkers or share it in the SolarWinds THWACK community.
Before you share an alert, check the exported file for confidential information, such as SMTP server credentials. Delete this information or password-protect the sensitive information in the alert before making it public. Also review your company policy on sharing this type of file.
Starting with Orion Platform 2019.2, you can secure sensitive data in alerts with a password or remove the sensitive data when exporting the alert.
Sensitive data might include:
- SMTP credentials used when sending emails
- SNMP Community strings used in the Send a SNMP trap action
To protect sensitive data in an alert to be exported:
- On Alert Manager, select the alert to export.
- Click Export/Import > Export.
- Decide whether to strip the sensitive data or protect it with a password.
- If you decide to password-protect the data, provide a password and complete the export.
The alert is downloaded to your default download location.
When importing the alert, you can either import the alert without the sensitive data, or provide the password to include the sensitive data.
- On Alert Manager, click Export/Import > Import.
- Navigate to the location of the alert.
- Provide the password or select not to import sensitive data.
- Complete the import.