Use SolarWinds Platform Maps to view historical events
This SolarWinds Platform topic applies only to the following products:
Hybrid Cloud Observability Essentials — Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced
NAM — NPM — NTA — SAM — UDT — VMAN — VNQM — WPM
Introduced in SolarWinds Platform Maps 2020.2, you can now travel back in time to view events of a map and its members - such as down time, alerts, and status - using Historical Tracking.
Enabling History Tracking provides aggregate, historical event data within a configured map to inform about potential issues that have occurred in the past and the impact the event had on connected entities. Tracking history through SolarWinds Platform Maps allows you to review the state of an environment prior to an outage, providing additional evidence and details critical in aiding root cause analysis and expedited repair.
Historical Tracking pairs with PerfStack to provide contextually relevant data within a specified time frame.
Historical Tracking does not function for users with account limitations.
To enable Historical Tracking on your map:
- Log in to Orion as an administrator.
- Click My Dashboards > SolarWinds Platform Maps.
- Open your map and navigate to the SolarWinds Platform Maps properties panel.
- From the properties panel, click the toggle for Track History.
- Once enabled, a button shows in the top right corner of the map when in View mode (View History). Using this button, you can move to the historical tracking view.
- Using the timeline at the bottom of the view, you can navigate to specific intervals to display what the map looked like at that time frame. You can also click the button in the top left to play a historical loop of the current timeline on your screen.
Historical tracking is based on 10-minute snapshot intervals over a 7-day period and can be enabled for 10 maps total, with a maximum of 100 entities per map.