Monitor virtual infrastructure
This SolarWinds Platform topic applies only to the following products:
Hybrid Cloud Observability Essentials — Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced
NAM — NPM — SAM — SRM — VMAN
It is available as a feature of SolarWinds NPM or SolarWinds SAM, or in integration with SolarWinds VMAN.
VIM monitors the following:
- ESXi and ESX Server version 4.1 or later
- VMware vSphere version 4.1 or later
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server versions 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2
Prerequisites to monitoring virtual infrastructure
- SolarWinds NPM or SolarWinds VIM is installed.
- SNMP on your virtual servers is enabled.
- VMware Tools are installed on all virtual machines you want to monitor.
If your virtual machines are on monitored ESXi and ESX servers, VMware Tools are not a requirement but provide access to additional information, such as IP addresses.
- ESX credentials on ESX servers are created.
- Your virtual infrastructure is discovered.
View virtual infrastructure data
To asses the status of your virtual environment, go to the Virtualization Summary view.
- Log in to the SolarWinds Platform Web Console.
- Click My Dashboards > Home > Virtualization in the menu bar. The summary view shows the overall status of your virtual infrastructure.
- Click subviews on the left, to see details on monitored VMware, Hyper-v or Nutanix devices.
To view ESX host details, click an ESX Host server in the Virtualization Summary page to open the ESX Host Details view.