Monitor Cisco UCS devices in the SolarWinds Platform
This SolarWinds Platform topic applies only to the following products:
Hybrid Cloud Observability Essentials — Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced
NPM — SAM — VMAN
The Cisco® Unified Computing System (UCS) is designed to provision, migrate, and manage internetworking systems in data centers.
When you add a UCS controller as a parent node in the SolarWinds Platform and then add devices such as fiber interconnects, chassis, blades, and rack servers to create a UCS cluster, you gain a view to all information that UCS provides.
You can then:
- Set up polling to check the health of UCS devices.
- Manage Hardware Health sensors for UCS controllers and related servers.
- Display chassis status in the AppStack Environment and SolarWinds Platform Maps.
- Access the Cisco UCS Manager web portal page for a device from its Orion node.
To begin monitoring UCS devices, review requirements and then:
- Add a node for a UCS controller via the Discovery wizard,
- Add a node for a UCS controller on the Manage Nodes page, or
- Enable UCS monitoring on an existing node on the Edit Node page.
To learn more about monitoring UCS devices, see:
- UCS device monitoring requirements
- Set up monitoring for UCS devices
- Add nodes for devices connected to UCS controllers to the SolarWinds Platform
- Manage alerts and reports for UCS devices in the SolarWinds Platform
- Troubleshoot UCS device monitoring in the SolarWinds Platform
To ensure that MachineType and other device values are not overwritten when polled data is saved to the database, the SolarWinds Platform uses EntityType to identify UCS nodes. The EntityType column in the SolarWinds Platform database is also used for polling by the ESX VMWare API.