This Orion Platform topic applies only to the following products:
IPAM — NAM — NPM — SAM — VMAN
To get started with cloud monitoring, add a cloud account to the Orion Platform.
Before proceeding, make sure the cloud account is configured for the Orion Platform. Be sure to have your cloud account credentials handy.
- Log in to the Orion Web Console.
- Click My Dashboards > Cloud to access the Cloud Summary page.
In the Getting Started resource, click Monitor my Cloud Instances.
On Cloud Service Provider, select a provider and click the Monitor AWS/Monitor Azure button.
If you are running only NPM 2020.2, only Microsoft Azure is available.
- On the Cloud Settings tab, provide cloud account details, and click Continue.
Enter a Display Name for the account and provide account credentials.
If the SolarWinds Orion server requires a proxy server to connect to certain websites, click "Are you behind a proxy?" to configure proxy settings.
(Optional) Click Test Connection.
If an error occurs, verify account credentials and confirm that accounts are configured for the Orion Platform.
(Optional) Toggle Auto Monitoring off for instances/VMs added later, either manually or via automated discovery.
To learn more about wizard options, see Add a Cloud Account.
On API Polling Options, ensure that Azure Monitor API Polling option is enabled, review the polling frequency, and continue to the next step or click Finish.
When adding an Azure account, make sure that the Azure Resource Polling Frequency is higher or the same as the granularity of data provided by Microsoft. If you poll the data more frequently, you will get the same value every time you poll the information. Each poll is counts as a request.
- If you have SAM or VMAN, select instances to monitor.
- If you have IPAM deployed, ensure that you have DNS scanning enabled, and continue to the next step or click Finish.
- If you have NPM 2020.2 installed, ensure that Enable Virtual Network polling is on and continue to the next step or click Finish. If you don't use NPM, this step is skipped.
After an account is added, the Orion Platform begins polling for data. Click Dashboards > Cloud to display the Cloud Summary page and review instances/VMs for the new account. See Explore cloud instances and VMs on the Cloud Summary page.
If necessary, you can restrict other Orion Web Console users from displaying instances/VMs for an account.