Alert Integrations in the SolarWinds Platform
This topic applies to all SolarWinds Platform products.
You can integrate SolarWinds Platform products with the following IT Service Management solutions:
- ServiceNow® (Orion Platform 2016.1 or later)
- SolarWinds Service Desk (starting with Orion Platform 2019.4)
Integrating an alerting solution with the SolarWinds Platform means that triggering an alert in the SolarWinds Platform creates a new incident in the integrated alerting instance and vice versa.
Configure the integration
To make the integration of the SolarWinds Platform and your alerting system work, complete the following steps.
Step 1: Set up the system to integrate with the SolarWinds Platform.
Step 2: Create an instance for the system in the SolarWinds Platform.
Step 3: Configure SolarWinds Platform alerts to create an incident (ServiceNow or SolarWinds Service Desk) as the alert action.
Configure the instance
- Log in to the SolarWinds Platform Web Console using an account with administrator rights.
- Click Settings > All Settings, and then click Manage Alert Integration Instances.
- Click Add Instance and select your instance type.
The new instance displays on the Manage Alert Integration Instances page. Check the operational state of the integration. You can now use Create ServiceNow Incident or Create SolarWinds Service Desk incident as an alert action.
Once you configure the integration, you can go to Settings > Manage Alert Integrations and view a list of all integrated instances.
Operational states describe how the integration of your alerting system and the SolarWinds Platform works:
- Enabled: new or updated alerts in the SolarWinds Platform Web Console create or update incidents in the integrated instance, and the other way around.
- Restricted: incidents in the integrated instances are updated and closed. Changes in Orion are reflected in the integrated instance (ServiceNow or SolarWinds Service Desk), and the other way around, but no new incidents are created.
- Restricted by system: applies only to ServiceNow. If the number of ServiceNow incidents created in a five-minute period reaches 100, the instance is automatically switched to Restricted state.
- Disabled: incidents cannot be created and updated in the integrated instance based on SolarWinds Platform alerts.