Create email templates for use with SEM rules
Email templates are pre-formatted messages that SEM sends to users when alert events trigger a rule.
About SEM email templates
You can use email templates to customize your email notifications when triggered as responses in your rules. An email template includes static and dynamic text (or parameters). The static text lets you customize the appearance of the email. The dynamic text is filled in from the original event that triggered the rule to fire.
Create email templates to report specific information about an alert event and variables that capture specific parameters about that event. For example, you can report which server is affected, what time the event occurred, or which Agent was shut down. Or you can create an Account Lockout template to notify key personnel when an account is locked out, or automatically file a trouble ticket. Create static text to describe the event, and incorporate dynamic text that provides the account information from the original event.
Create templates that are specific to an event type to avoid having to create one email template per rule. For example, you can have one template for Account Modification that can provide a notification when a user is added or removed from a group, when a password is reset, or when other account details are changed. There is no limit to the number of templates you can create.
Best practices to keep rules, events, and emails simple to manage
To keep rules, events, and emails simple to manage, SolarWinds recommends the following:
- Create the rule with a name that describes the event.
- Create the email template with a name that describes the event.
- In the email template subject or message, enter the event or rule name to describe the event or alert.
When you receive the email, you can identify the email template, the rule that fired, and the event that caused the rule to fire.
Create or edit an email template
You can use email templates to customize your email notifications when triggered as responses in your custom rules. An email template includes static and dynamic text (or parameters). The static text lets you customize the message body of the email. The dynamic text is filled in from the original event that caused the rule to fire.
- On the SEM Console, click the Configure tab.
- From the Configure drop-down list, select E-mail templates, and then click Create E-mail template.
- In the Email template name field, enter a descriptive name for the template.
- In the Subject field, enter the subject of the template email.
- In the Message field, enter the text of the message to be included in this email. This text is static and cannot be editing within emails created from this template, but you can include parameters which are replaced by the appropriate metrics (or string) when an email is generated by a rule that uses this template.
- To add parameters, either type $ or click Add parameter, then add the parameter. You do not need to specify the values here, and can use any combination of letters, number and the "." ,"_", and "-" characters.
When you create the rule, the fields that can be substituted for these parameters are displayed. For example, if your message is:
This $info event occurred at $time.
And you create a rule triggered by Access.IsThreat, you will be able to assign any of the Access fields to replace the parameters.
- To save your template, click Create.
The new template is now available as an action type in your custom rule builder. To learn more, see Create a new rule.
In the Refine Results pane, you can also filter the groups by the modifier and the time last modified.