SEM Agent pre-installation checklist: Prepare to deploy SEM Agents
Complete the following tasks before installing the SEM Agent. See SEM Agent installation overview to learn more about installing SEM Agents.
SEM Agent installer requirements
|1. Review system requirements||
See the SEM agent requirements in the system requirements section for details.
|2. Gather credentials||
Verify that you have administrative access to the servers and workstations you plan to monitor with the Agent. Windows-based systems require Domain or Local administrative privileges; Linux or Unix systems require root-level access.
The Local Administrator Account is not the same as a domain account with local admin rights. A domain account is subject to your domain group policies.
|3. Review the SEM Agent installation overview||See SEM Agent installation overview for installation information, and information about unattended Agent installations.|
|1. Disable anti-malware and endpoint protection software during installation.||
Turn off any anti-malware or endpoint protection applications on host systems during the installation process, because these applications can affect the process by which installation files are transferred to the hosts.
|2. After installation, add an exception to your antivirus or anti-malware software for the SEM Agent folder.||
Set an exception in your antivirus or anti-malware scanning software for the
Download the SEM Agent installers
You can download SEM Agent installers from the SEM consoles or from the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
To download a SEM Agent installer from the SEM Console
- On the SEM Console, click the Nodes tab, and then click Add agent node. The Add agent node window appears displaying options for remote and local installation.
- Select an option, and then follow the instructions to add the monitored node.
To download a SEM Agent installer from the SolarWinds Customer Portal
If you are using a trial version of SEM, download the SEM Agent installer from the SEM console, or contact SolarWinds for assistance.
Download the installer from the SolarWinds Customer Portal. Log in with your SWID if necessary.
Find SEM in the product list, and then click Choose Download.
- Find the Agent Installer on the list.
- Ensure there is only one host entry per line.
- If the format is tab separated, remove the tab spacing, and then enter a space between each value. For example, 10.10.10.10 xxx03 xxx03 yyy abcd.net. If tab spacing is present, the installer will not be able to parse the file correctly and will fail.
See the following topics to install the SEM Agents: