Configure the Email Active Response connector in SEM
Configure the Email Active Response connector in your SEM Manager to send automated emails to console users when a rule is triggered. This connector specifies the SMTP Relay mail host that your Manager uses to send emails and provides the requisite server credentials.
If you used the SEM Getting Started Wizard to set up your SEM environment, then the Email Active Response connector is already configured. See Set up SEM to send Email Alerts for more information.
- An email server that allows SEM Manager to relay email messages through it
- IP address or hostname of your email server
- A return email address for bounced messages and replies
- User credentials for your email server, only if your email server requires internal users to authenticate to send email
To configure SEM to use Office 365 as a mail host, see Configure SEM to send email via Office 365 in the SolarWinds Success Center.
Configure the Email Active Response connector
- On the SEM Console, navigate to Nodes > Manager Connectors.
- To locate the Email Active Response connector, type email in the search box.
- Select the Email Active Response connector, and then click Add Connector.
- In the Name field, enter a new name, or keep the existing name.
In the Mail Host field, enter the mail host IP address.
If you use a hostname in the Mail Host field, SEM Manager must be able to resolve the mail host from the DNS entries you entered during your SEM network configuration.
- In the Port field, enter 25.
- From the Transport Protocol drop-down list, select SMTP or TLS.
TLS 1.2 is supported for email connections in SEM 2020.2.1 and later.
In the Return Address field, enter a return address.
This field is pre-populated with email@example.com. Be sure to change this email address.
If the email server requires an Active Directory user to send email, enter the authentication server user name and password in the appropriate fields.
If the email server requires an email to be sent from a computer within the domain, the email server must have an exception created for the SEM hostname. SEM cannot join the domain.
- Click Add. The connector appears on the Manager Connectors tab under Configured connectors.
- Under Configured connectors, select your connector, and then click Start.
Test the Email Active Response connector
Send a test email to verify that the connector is working properly.
If you receive an email, the connector is working properly.
If you do not receive an email, the SEM Internal Events filter provides the following information:
- Event Name: InternalInfo
- Event Info: Email notification failed
- Extraneous Info: Information about the failure. For example, server not reachable, authentication issue, and so on.
Modify the connector configuration as required and then resend a test email.