Add an action to log messages to a file
This documentation is for legacy Kiwi Syslog Server versions 9.8.2 and older. See the KSSNG version of Add an action to log messages to a file for the newest version of the following documentation.
You can add a Kiwi Syslog Server action to log messages to a file in the file format you select. By logging messages to a file, you can archive received logs for compliance with, for example, internal security or regulatory requirements.
- From the Kiwi Syslog Service Manager, choose File > Setup.
- Add a rule, or locate an existing rule.
- Right-click Actions below the rule, and click Add Action.
- Click the default action name, and enter a descriptive name.
From the Action menu, select Log to file.
Specify the following options:
Path and file name of log file
Enter a path and file name, or browse to select a file. The default file location is
To split incoming messages into multiple files, insert an AutoSplit value in the path or file name.
For example, the current date variable
%DateISOis inserted at the end of the default file name. This appends the date to the end of the file name, so a new message log file is created for each day.
To select a value:
- Place your cursor in the path or file name at the location you want to insert the AutoSplit value.
- Click Insert AutoSplit value and select the value.
Log file format Specify the file format. You can select a standard format or create a custom format.
Custom formats are listed at the end of the Log file format menu, after the standard and reserved formats.
- (Optional) Configure automatic log file rotation.
- Test the action.
- Click Apply.
You can use schedules in Kiwi Syslog Server to automate log file archival and retention.