Set the wireless heat map scale in NPM
The correct scale is necessary for an accurate display of the wireless coverage provided by your wireless access point.
You can use online maps, such as the full version of Google Maps, to measure your office building. Locate the building on Google Maps, right-click one wall, and measure the distance to the other wall of the building.
- You have already inserted a background image for your wireless heat map (a floor plan).
- You know the distance of two objects displayed on the background image.
To minimize error, set the scale for the longest distance possible, such as the building or floor length.
To set the map scale:
- Create the wireless heat map in the Network Atlas.
- Click Set Scale in the Home ribbon. A blue line segment with squares as end points will appear in the plan.
- Drag endpoints of the segment to the objects on the map whose distance you know.
- Fill in the distance between the endpoints into the appropriate field, and select the units (feet or meters).
Example: In floor plans, you usually know the dimensions of individual rooms. Drag and drop the line segment endpoints so that the endpoints are located on the opposite walls, and fill in the width of the room.
- Click Set Scale to apply the scale to the wireless heat map.