Add DNS IP SLA operations to devices
Domain Name Server (DNS) IP SLA operations measure the difference in time from when a DNS request is sent and when the reply is received. These operations ensure that your DNS servers are operational and are performing as expected.
You cannot add operations that have been previously created with SolarWinds VoIP and Network Quality Manager. If you have already created an operation with the same operation number, you must manually remove the operation from the device.
To add DNS IP SLA operations to your network devices:
- Log in to your SolarWinds VoIP and Network Quality Manager server as an administrator.
- Click Settings > All Settings > VoIP & Quality Settings.
- In the Manage IP SLA Operations section, click Add new operations.
- Select Create new operations, and click Next.
- Select DNS, and click Next.
- Select the nodes you want to add to your new DNS operations, and click Next.
If you do not see your IP SLA routers in the list, you must add the devices before you can continue. For more information, see Adding Devices for Monitoring in the Web Console.
- Enter the IP Address of the DNS server and the hostname or IP address to resolve, and click Next.
- Enter the frequency for the operation to be performed.
- Define your warning, critical, and maximum threshold values.
- To assign a Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) name for this path, expand Advanced, and enter the VRF name.
VRFs only exist on provider edge routers (PE). A VRF is a routing and forwarding table instance, and you can have more than one VRF per PE. The VRF includes routes that are available to a certain set of sites. A VRF is named based on the VPNs it services and on the role of the customer edge (CE) router in the topology.
- Click Next.
- To rename operations or edit any other operation properties, select the operations you want to modify, and click Edit.
- Review the operations you want to create, and click Create Operations.
Depending on the number of operations that are being created, this process can take several minutes to complete.
- Click Go to VNQM Home to finish the procedure and return to the SolarWinds VoIP and Network Quality Manager home page.