Polling intervals for Network Service Assurance operations in SolarWinds VNQM
VNQM polls Network Service Assurance operations at a certain frequency. This frequency is defined by polling intervals set in your database.
SolarWinds VoIP and Network Quality Managerdivides all monitored operations on a node into groups based on their polling frequency. The polling frequency is divided by two for the polling interval, which occurs twice as fast as the polling frequency.
The polling interval groups are the following:
- Polling interval <= 1min
- 1min < Polling interval <= 3min
- 3min < Polling interval <= 6min
- 6min < Polling interval
For any given group of operations, SolarWinds VoIP and Network Quality Manager finds the operation with the most frequent polling interval in the group and uses that interval to poll the entire group. Consider the following example:
Five operations are being monitored on a single node. These operations have the following polling frequencies:
- Operation A: 1 minute
- Operation B: 2 minutes
- Operation C: 4 minutes
- Operation D: 5 minutes
- Operation E: 14 minutes
Operations A and B would be put in the same group because their polling intervals are both <= 1 minute. The polling interval of Operation A is 30 seconds, and the polling interval of operation B is 1 minute. SolarWinds VoIP and Network Quality Manager will poll both of these operations simultaneously every 30 seconds because the more frequent of the two operations is 1 minute, and VNQM polls twice that frequency.
Operations C and D are in a different group because their polling intervals are 2 minutes and 2.5 minutes, which are <= 3 minutes and greater than 1 minute. VNQM will poll both of these operations simultaneously every 2 minutes because the more frequent of the two operations is 4 minutes, and VNQM polls twice that frequency.
Operation E is in a different group because its polling interval is 7 minutes.
- If you want to change a polling interval for an operation, you have to do it in your database.
- VNQM does not support the polling of several hundred operations at 5 second polling interval.
To check the currently set polling interval in VNQM:
- Click Settings > All Settings.
- Under product Specific Settings, click VoIP & Network Quality (VNQM) settings.
- Click Edit or delete operations.
- On the Manage Network Service Assurance Operations page, select an operation, and click Edit. You can check the polling interval in the Frequency field.