SIP monitoring on Cisco CallManagers
SIP Trunking is a VoIP technology and streaming media service. A SIP Trunk provides the same service you get from a traditional analog phone line or channel (trunk) on a PRI. Instead of being a physical wire, a SIP Trunk is a virtual phone line which is provided by a SIP Trunk provider. It uses your data circuit to connect your phone system to the internet. In addition to voice calls, SIP Trunks can also carry instant messages, multimedia conferences, user presence information, enhanced 9-1-1 emergency calls, and other SIP-based, real-time communication services.
SIP Trunk monitoring provides the following benefits:
- You can troubleshoot calls by analyzing CDR data, providing the associated IP SLA metrics, and giving a hop-by-hop analysis of the call path.
- When integrated with SolarWinds NPM, you can view detailed network performance metrics (CPU or memory utilization) of the IP SLA source device for further troubleshooting.
- VNQM provides the up and down status of the infrastructure that carries SIP Trunks and provides an alert when a SIP Trunk is down.
- VNQM tracks SIP call traffic including attempted, completed, in progress, and active audio as well as attempted and completed video calls. For more information, see SolarWinds VNQM views.
- You can perform advanced troubleshooting to identify the root cause of SIP call failures by correlating SIP trunk availability, call performance metrics, and corresponding network performance metrics using the Performance Analysis dashboards (PerfStack™).
There are two methods for enabling SIP Trunk monitoring in VNQM: