Install the SolarWinds Serv-U File Server
Serv-U installation files and licenses are now available in the Customer Portal. Refer to Serv-U licenses now available in Customer Portal for steps to access this information.
If you are installing Serv-U File Server for the first time, follow the instructions on the installation screens to choose the installation directory and to configure desktop shortcuts for quickly accessing the server.
For instructions for installing Serv-U on a Linux server, see the Install Serv-U on Linux knowledge base article.
- Run the installation file from the download folder, and follow the prompts.
- Select the language of the installation.
Serv-U File Server supports installation in English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Serbian, Swedish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese. At this point you are selecting only the default language for the Management Console. When users connect to Serv-U File Server, they can select any language from the list of supported languages.
- Review and accept the license agreement, and click Next.
- Select whether to add the Serv-U icon to your desktop, and whether to install Serv-U as a system service, and click Next.
- Click Install.
The installation now begins.
If a Universal Plug and Play capable router is detected, the following screen is displayed. Check the checkbox if you want Serv-U to configure the device(s).
- Uncheck the Start the Serv-U Management Console checkbox if you do not want to launch Serv-U immediately. You can launch it later by double-clicking the Serv-U File Server icon in the system tray, or by right-clicking the Serv-U File Server icon and selecting Start Management Console.
- Click Finish.
The Management Console is displayed.
If you selected to install Serv-U File Server as a system service, Serv-U File Server is automatically started when the server is started, before any users log on to the system. This is useful if Serv-U File Server is running on a dedicated server that does not regularly have an interactive user session logged in to it.
If Serv-U File Server is not installed as a system service, it has to be manually started after logging in to the server.