Serv-U file sharing (MFT only)
File sharing is available on MFT edition Serv-U servers and can be enabled at the global or domain level. It can also be specified as the default web client at all levels.
Use the file sharing feature to send files to and request files from users.
Send files: Use this when you have files on the FTP server that you want users to download. The Send files wizard makes files available to specific users by sending them a specially-generated link via email. When the user clicks on this link or enters the URL from the link into a browser, the user will be presented with the list of files to be downloaded.
Request files: Use this when you want users to send files to your FTP server. The Request wizard lets you request one or more files from guests by sending them a link to a web page, where files can be uploaded.
Enabling and configuring file sharing
File sharing is enabled and configured from the Serv-U Management Console.
To set up file sharing globally, click Global > Limits and Settings > File Sharing.
To set up file sharing for specific domains, select the domain and navigate to Limits and Settings > File Sharing.
- Enter the address for the domain URL.
- Select the directory to be used as the file sharing repository.
- Select the number of days you want shares to remain available after they have been added to the repository.
- Select whether you want to use the inherited default email invitation subject, or customize your own.
If deselected, you can type in a custom subject.
- Select whether you want to use the inherited default email notification message, or customize your own.
If deselected, you can enter a custom message.
- Check User Secure URL to create links using HTTPS rather than HTTP.
- Select Enable File Sharing.
- Click Save.
- If not configured yet, configure SMTP to be able to send invitation emails to user you want to download or upload files.
For more information about configuring an SMTP server, see SMTP configuration.
- Click the Limits link or select the Limits tab and select File Sharing from the drop-down menu.
- The default limits for File Sharing are displayed. You cannot delete a default limit, but if you click on a limit you can override it. You can also create overrides for specific days and times. File Share overrides can be created at global, domain and user levels.