Set up config change approval in NCM
Network Configuration Manager enables you to define a semi-automated approval process for making configuration changes on network devices. NCM uses roles to determine which Orion accounts are able to perform the tasks of changing device configurations (WebUploader), approving those changes (Administrator), and changing the roles of Orion accounts (Engineer, Administrator). NCM uses email to relay config change approval requests. As part of setting up the config change approval system, you must provide SMTP information.
The setup wizard guides you through the process of specifying an email server for notifications, addresses of change approvers, and accounts of team members who manage device configurations.
- Click Settings > All Settings.
- Under Product Specific Settings, click NCM Settings.
- Under Config Management Change Approval, click Setup Wizard.
- Select an approval mode, and click Submit.
- Enter SMTP settings, and click Submit.
- Enter Admin Email settings.
- If you are using one-level approval, the addresses in the To field receive notifications of pending device config changes.
- The address in the From field is shown as the sending address for config change approval requests.
- The Subject field appears in the subject line of config change approval requests.
- Add an additional message regarding to inform approvers of the standard action to take.
For each user in the list that you want to have a WebUploader role but neither the Engineer or Administrator role, select the user name, and click Edit.
When you enable the change approval system, NCM prevents the system from executing device uploads until an NCM administrator has approved the scheduled job.