Change an interface description
Updating interface descriptions with Network Configuration Manager saves time because you do not have to remember IP addresses or login credentials for the device you are updating.
Back up the running configuration
- Click My Dashboards > Network Configuration > Configuration Management.
- Select one or more nodes.
- Click Download > Running.
Update the interface descriptions
- Click My Dashboards > Network Configuration > Jobs.
- Click Create New Job.
- Name the job, and select Execute Command Script on Devices from Job Type.
Specify when the job runs:
To run the job once or on a simple schedule, select Basic. Click the tab that identifies how frequently the job runs, and then specify the start time and (if needed) the day(s).
To create a more complex schedule, select Advanced and then use the five fields to create a CRON expression.
- Add a comment if this job relates to a business rule, and click Next.
- Select the nodes to target with this job, and click Next.
- Select an email notification option, and click Next. If you click Email Results, the default email notification and SMTP server settings are populated. These settings can be overridden in each job.
- Add the script to execute.
- If you want to load a saved script, click Load Saved Script, and select a script.
- If you want to load an existing script from disk, click Load Script from File, browse to the file, and click Open.
- If you want to create a new script, enter your script in the text box. For example:
description Link to Upstairs Lab
Link to Upstairs Labis the new description.
- If you want to save a script, click Save Script to File, specify a location, and click Save.
- Select Filter Results that match a pattern if you want to see in the script output only those lines that match a specific regular expression pattern.
- Select Show Commands in Output to view what NCM sent to the targeted devices.
- Click Next.
- Review the settings for the job, and click Finish.
Verify success by checking the interface description
- Click My Dashboards > Network Configuration > Config Summary.
- Click the updated node in the list.
- Click the Configs tab .
- Under Config List, select the running config, and click Edit Config.
- Locate the interface definitions.
- Verify that the new description has been applied to the interface you modified.