F5 device template behavior
When using device templates for F5 devices, consider the following behavior.
Device setup prerequisites
Set the Terminal Access user on the device to Advanced Shell. Do not use Traffic Management Shell (TMSH).
Verify the device can reach the NCM server for configuration transfers using SCP.
If you plan to upload binary user configuration set (UCS) files, be aware that the upload can take a long time. If the upload is timing out, increase the NCM timeout settings incrementally until the problem is resolved.
Click Settings > All Settings.
Under Product Specific Settings, choose CLI settings.
Increase the following settings by a small amount:
- Telnet/SSH Connection Timeout
- Telnet/SSH Prompt Timeout
If you set up NCM to transfer configurations using SSH:
- The template can download the current running config.
- You cannot download the startup config.
- You cannot upload the running or startup config.
If you set up NCM to transfer configurations using SCP:
- The template can download and upload a text single configuration file (SCF) as a running config.
- The template can download and upload a binary UCS as startup config.
- You cannot upload the running config to startup, or startup to running config.
Downloading or uploading configs using TFTP is not supported.