Learn about baselines in SCM
In Server Configuration Monitor (SCM), each node can have a snapshot of all configuration items from all profiles at a particular date set as its baseline configuration. A baseline is the ideal or standard configuration for that node. It is the configuration against which you want to judge that node going forward.
After you've set a baseline, you can be alerted when a node's configuration deviates from the baseline. For example, if a node is supposed to have only a particular set of software installed, you might assign the SW Inventory profile and set the baseline to a time immediately after all the software has been installed, then turn on the Server configuration differs from baseline alert. If software is removed or additional software is installed, the alert is triggered and notifies you that something has changed.
Define or redefine a baseline individually or in bulk
Baselines can be set from the Compare Configurations page, or from the Configuration Details widget on the SCM subview of a Node Details page.
- When comparing two configurations, if you would like to set one of them as the baseline, click the three dots to the right of the datetime and choose Set as baseline.
- From Node Details, if you would like to set the current configuration as the baseline, click Set as baseline in the upper right of the Configuration Details widget.
If a profile is assigned to a node after the baseline is defined, those configuration items are not included in the baseline.
After a baseline is set on a node, it can be reset or redefined if desired. You can also set or reset baselines for multiple nodes or all nodes at once. This capability saves time and reduces the number of adjustments you need to make in SCM. This feature can facilitate the roll-out of SCM across a large environment or help you to make need bulk changes as needed.
To redefine or delete all baselines at once:
- Go to Settings > All Settings.
- Under Product Specific Settings, click Server Configuration Monitor Settings.
- Click the Monitored Nodes tab.
- Select the desired profiles and then click Redefine Baselines or Delete Baselines as applicable.