Update WPM Player communication settings in the Orion Web Console
When you add a transaction location in the Orion Web Console, a WPM Player is deployed to the remote system. The WPM Player is a Windows service that uses WPM worker processes to simulate end user experiences with web applications by playing test scenarios repeatedly while gathering statistics to send to the Orion server for analysis.
WPM Players can communicate with the Orion server in one of two ways:
- Server-initiated communication: Sets WPM Players in passive mode to wait for requests from the Orion server on port 17781. To use this option, configure firewall and Network Address Translation (NAT) settings on each system that hosts a WPM Player so agents can communicate with the Orion server.
- Player-initiated communication: Allows WPM Players to actively initiate communication with the Orion server on port 17782 so agents on remote systems can navigate the Firewall/NAT configuration and connect to polling servers using a HTTP(S) protocol. Managed Service Providers (MSPs) and larger distributed deployments may prefer this option.
If you change the communication setting for a WPM Player on a remote system, be sure to update settings within the Orion Web Console also.
- Click Settings > All Settings > WPM Settings > Manage Player Locations.
- On the Manage Transaction Locations page, switch to the Transaction Locations tab.
- Select the row for the player, and then click Edit.
- Update field values, as necessary. For field descriptions, see WPM online help.
- (Optional) Select the "Update player settings" check box so password and port settings can changed remotely if conflicting network settings make the player unavailable.
- (Optional) Click Test to verify the connection.
- Click Submit.