Getting Started with Network Topology Mapper (NTM)
Scan and map your IT infrastructure:
- Network devices
- Virtualization hosts and more
Why use NTM?
- Automate device discovery and mapping: Automatically discover network topology using ICMP, SNMP, WMI, CDP, VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, and leverage multiple network discovery methods.
- Build multiple maps from a single scan: Build maps without having to rescan to save resources, bandwidth, and time.
- Export network diagrams to Vision: Export network diagrams to Visio, Network Atlas, PDF, and more.
- Auto-detect changes to Network Topology Mapper: Monitor for new devices, changes and unknown systems to ensure and accurate, up-to-date record of your network.
- Maintain multiple network maps to meet regulatory compliance: Use network maps to help meet compliance requirements for PCI, SOX, HIPSS and FIPS 140‑2.
NTM vs Network Atlas
Topology-based approach: see where things are connected, ignore things not relevant.
When you already have everything in NPM and just want to extend your maps.
One map is rarely enough to comprehensively discover your environment: you can designate sub-admins to discover just their segments of network.
NA maps can be rolled-up: when you need the maps to contain applications, systems, services, interfaces, IPSLAs
Maps are updated automatically
Maps in Network Atlas are static: you need to update them manually
Create a map
- Create a new scan:
- Click New Scan
- Add credentials
- Identify the network segment (subnet, ip ranges)
- You can ignore devices.
- Kick off the scan.
- Map is created.
- Rearrange objects on the map, add devices or delete devices you don't want to see.
- Save the map.
- Export (Visio, Network Atlas, PDF,...)
- Create reports (such as make an inventory report and export it to csv).
- Nodes discovered are shown on the left
- Add or remove devices
- Change which links are displayed
- Most environments cannot be described by a single map. Create multiple purpose-filled maps.
- Create a map focused on the network gear of a site.
- Drag and drop required switches.
- Publish to sharepoint? Export to Visio and export it.
- Raw tabular data? Generate inventory report, export to csv.