Define a request type
The following example defines the New Hire Paperwork request type. It is a subtype of the HR request type. This request type will be used to initiate the paperwork that the Human Resources department must complete when a new employee starts. Because tech groups have not been defined yet, this request type will be mapped to a tech group later.
For more information about any field, see the tooltips.
- Log in to Web Help Desk as an administrator.
- In the toolbar, click Setup and select Tickets > Request Types.
The Request Types window displays current request types.
- Click New.
Enter a name to identify this request type.
To create a nested request type, select the parent type. Optionally, click to copy values for the remaining fields from the parent type.
To create a top-level request type, leave this field blank.
Select the tech group that will handle this type of request.
If the tech group is not defined, leave this field blank. You can map the request type to a tech group when you define the tech group.
Specify the default priority and whether fields are hidden or required.
- In the Detailed Instructions field, enter additional information to be displayed on the ticket. For example, you can provide specific instructions for creating this type of ticket, or explain the request type's purpose so a client can choose the correct type.
You can apply BBCode formatting to format lists, add emphasis, or include links to supporting information.
See Customize tickets, notes, instructions, and emails with BBCode for details.
Specify whether this type of ticket is listed in the menu displayed to clients. Clear this option for types that are selected only by techs (for example, a request type used by techs to schedule an equipment maintenance window).
Specify whether the user will be prompted to select an asset or model when they create this type of ticket.
Optionally, restrict this ticket type to specific companies, locations, or departments. Only clients or techs associated with your selections will see this request type. For example, if the request type will be routed to a facilities maintenance group for a specific location, restrict the type to that location.
- If an approval process should be automatically initiated when a ticket is saved with this request type, select the approval process. (Alternatively, you can associate a request type with an approval process when you create the approval process.)
- To include custom fields on this type of ticket, specify which fields to include.
- Specify whether clients can attach files to this type of ticket, and whether this request type is available as a category when techs create an FAQ.
The Attachments Enabled option does not affect whether techs can attach files.
- Identify the tech who will receive the highest level escalation (after the tech group manager).
Select the survey that is sent to clients when this type of ticket is closed, or select None to disable surveys for this ticket type.
- Click Save.