The Primary Application Server (PAS) is a dedicated server that hosts the Primary Application Server (PAS) role. This server provides the default management group, certificate configuration authority, and communications hub for your Patch Manager deployment. This server role is installed on a Microsoft® Windows®-based host system with the Patch Manager Administrator Console.
The Primary Application Server is also referred to as the Patch Manager server.
After you install your first updates, configure the following resources on the Primary Application Server:
- Managed resources—the servers and workstations updated by Patch Manager.
- Credential and credential ring rules that map user credentials to managed resources (such as computers and servers).
- Third party update schedules for your non-Microsoft software updates.
- Publishing servers to enable the WSUS server to publish third-party updates and custom packages to the managed systems.
- Administrative settings, such as the email and proxy settings.
- Managed clients, such as Group Policy settings and configuring clients using the Patch Manager Administrator Console.