Patch Manager uses the following components to manage security in the Patch Manager Administrator Console:
- Credentials that you assign to credential rings to grant Patch Manager access to managed resources
- Credential rings to map credentials to managed resources
- Security roles to grant or deny console users to application functionality
- User preferences to create and manage profiles for specific Microsoft® Windows® users with access to the Patch Manager Administrator Console
- Server certificates to encrypt all communications between Patch Manager servers and the console sessions
- Patch Manager Web Console user accounts to access the console on the SolarWinds Platform server
You can select and map your credentials to specific resources in the default credential ring during the initial setup. As you become more familiar with the product and expand your deployment, these security components help you configure Patch Manager to function efficiently and securely.
Patch Manager uses specific user credentials to manage security in the Patch Manager Web Console. See Web Console User Accounts for details.
The security management tasks described in this section are available regardless of the Microsoft product you are extending. Although you cannot perform these functions from within the SCCM console, all of the Patch Manager functionality is available in the Patch Manager Admin Console. See Set up Patch Manager with SCCM for details.