The Patch Manager database stores all consolidated data from a WSUS inventory, Managed Computer inventory, and Discovery tasks. To generate a WSUS inventory report for this data, the Patch Manager Administrator Console pulls the data directly from the database.
|SQL Server Express||
Installs on the Patch Manager server
10 GB storage limit
Exceeding the storage limit requires you to migrate your database to a remote SQL Server instance
Supports up to 100 managed computers
SQL Server Standard
SQL Server Enterprise Edition
Installs on a remote SQL database server
Supports the Patch Manager, Automation, Application, and Management servers
Storage limit based on the database server configuration
Supports over 100 managed computers
Prevents a single point of failure
* Requires SQL Server 2012 or later.
** Requires SQL Server 2016 or later.
To ensure optimal performance, SolarWinds recommends the following:
- Use SQL Server Express Edition (included with the Patch Manager installer) for evaluations and small deployments that require less than 10 GB of storage space.
- Use a licensed version of SQL Server for Patch Manager servers that support multiple console users, inventory multiple WSUS servers, or execute simultaneous WMI-based tasks. These configurations require high reporting services.
- Use a remote database server for Patch Manager server roles hosted on a WSUS or SCCM server.
- Deploy additional Management Server roles to split storage requirements between each additional server.
See Best practices for using Patch Manager for more information.