Each management group resides on its own Patch Manager server. When you create a new management group, it must correspond to a new Patch Manager server in the Management Server role.
You can use additional Management Server roles to store inventory data from distinct groups of clients in separate databases. These groups must be a defined NetBIOS workgroup, Active Directory domain, or Active Directory sub-domain.
Use an additional Management Server role with the Application Server role in a testing lab. The additional Management Server role server and testing lab would have its own management group.
In the navigation pane, expand Patch Manager System Configuration and select Management Groups.
- In the Actions pane, click Patch Manager Group Wizard.
In the Name field, select or enter a management group name that reflects the group purpose or types of managed devices in the group.
- Enter a description, and click Next.
Select the type of managed scopes to add or remove from the management group, and click Next.
Complete the wizard.
- Repeat step 1 through step 6 for each additional management group.
After you create a management group, you can:
- Configure managed resources to the group.
- Deploy a new Patch Manager server in the Management Server role and assign it to the new management group.
- Configure additional managed resources for the new management group.