Introduction to DPA
You can use Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) to monitor, diagnose, and resolve performance problems for many types of database instances, both self-managed and in the cloud.
Get a walk-through of DPA functionality from the DPA Getting Started Guide.
Start monitoring database instances
Get the licenses you need, and then register the databases you want to monitor.
- DPA license requirements and license types
- Purchase and view DPA licenses
- Activate DPA licenses
- Allocate or deallocate DPA licenses
- Register a database instance for monitoring with DPA
Manage DPA user accounts
Investigate performance issues
Use DPA to investigate queries with long wait times, inefficient queries and the tables they run against, and anomalies (unusually long wait times).
- Access DPA query or table tuning advisors
- Find the root cause of query performance issues
- Investigate inefficient queries running against a table
- Table tuning best practices
- Identify blocking sessions and deadlocks with DPA
- Find and investigate unusually long wait times (anomalies)
- About anomaly detection in DPA
- Add an annotation to document a change to the database
Search for a SQL statement
Do you want to see DPA's query performance analysis of a SQL statement that does not show up in the Trends charts? You can search for it based on what you know, such as when it ran, the application, or even part of the SQL text.
Configure alerts and reports
Use alerts to become aware of issues and address them proactively before they affect end users.
- Configure a DPA Wait Time alert
- Configure a DPA Administrative alert
- Configure a DPA Resources alert
- Configure a DPA Custom alert
- Send SNMP traps from DPA alerts
- Create or edit a custom email template for DPA alert notifications
Use reports to identify database trends, track the results of your performance tuning, and communicate those results to others.
Link DPA servers together
For large or geographically separate environments, link DPA servers together.
- Set up a Central Server and add remote DPA servers
- Configure authentication for the DPA Central Server
- View information from remote servers on the DPA Central Server
Use the DPA REST API
Automate tasks with the DPA REST API.